Ingredients for Bean Soup with Ham
- 450 g - 16 ounce dried navy beans, rinced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 piece of celery, chopped
- 400 gr ( 28- to 32-oz)can chopped tomatoes
- 1,6l (7 cups) water
- 450 g - 1 lb cups diced ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Add water and beans into a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
Boil gently for a few minutes, remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Add cubed ham, onion, and bay leaves.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are soft.
Occasionally skim service of soup while it is cooking.
Add carrots and celery, cook until tender.
Season with salt and pepper.