Ingredients for Caldo Verde:
For 6 persons:
- ¼ cup - 70ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces - 300g chorizo, sliced into 1/4-inch - ½cm coins
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound kale or collard greens, thick middle stem removed, and cut into very thin strips
- 8 cups - 2 l chicken stock or water with 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- olive oil
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chourizo slices and cook until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon remove the sausage to a plate. Try to let the sausage drain well into the pot, its fat will flavor the soup.
Add the onions into the pot. Sauté until they’re translucent and very soft. Sprinkle in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
Add the potatoes, cover everything with the chicken stock or the water with the bouillon cubes, and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat so the soup gently simmers. Cook until the potatoes are almost done.
Add half the sausage slices to the pot.
Purée it using a wand blender.
Add the greens to the soup, bring everything back to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the caldo verde into bowls and garnish with the remaining slices of chourizo. Tradition states that one slice and only one slice of chourizo is added to each bowl.
Tip: cooling the soup overnight in the fridge and reheating it the next day will do wonders for its flavor.
Tastyfood - Recipes