Ingredients for Fried Udon:
serves: 1 person
- 1 pack fresh udon (7 oz)
- 2 garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon oil, lard preferred
- 4-5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms or king trumpet mushrooms, sliced into pieces
- 3-5 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 6-8 slices fish cakes
- 2 mini carrots, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
- 1/3 cups shredded cabbage or Napa cabbage
- a few bird’s eye chilies, cut
- Soy Sauce
For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sweet kecap manis (soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes white pepper
Preparation Fried Udon:
Rinse the udon with cold running water, drained and set aside. Mix all the ingredients in the Sauce in a small bowl, stir to blend well. Set aside.
If you can’t find fresh udon, use dried udon. Cook it according to package instructions, about 80% cooked through before stir-frying.
Prepare the soy sauce and cut chilies condiments in a small saucer. Just add some soy sauce to the cut chilies.
Heat up a wok and add the oil (or lard). When the hot is fully heated, add the garlic and stir fry until aromatic. Add the shrimp and fish cake and stir-fry until the shrimp is half cooked. Add the carrot and napa cabbage and stir for a few times. Add the udon noodles into the wok, follow by the Sauce. Stir continuously to combine all the ingredients in the wok. Let cook for a little bit, stir a few times and make sure the udon noodles are cooked through. Dish out and serve immediately with the cut chilies and soy sauce condiment.