Ingredients for Ghent Chicken Casserole:
- 1 chicken into chunks or 4 breast fillets
- 400 gr (14 oz) potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 kg (2,22 lbs) soup julienne vegetables (found in your supermarket)
- Beurre mania: 30 gr (1 oz) flour + 2 tablespoons liquid butter
- 1 bottle cream (20 cl - 0,84 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 30gr ( 1 oz) butter
- 2 liters (8,44 cups) water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch parsley (to garnisch)
Preparation for Ghent Chicken Casserole:
Boil the water with the chicken. Cook for 30 minutes. Skim off foam.
Remove chicken pieces from water and cut into bite sized pieces.
Chop all the vegetables (except the potatoes) finely (brunoise) and cook for 10 minutes in the chicken stock.
Cook the chopped potatoes.
Drain, but keep the stock.
Make a roux (or beurre manié) from 30 gr of flour and 2 tspn liquid butter = Melt the butter and add the flour, add 1 l ( 4,22 cup) of the vegetable stock, let cook until slightly thickened.
Finish off by adding the cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
Use soup plates for serving. Starting with the vegetables, put the cut up chicken filet on top, add sauce and garnish with potatoes and parsley.