Ingredients for Lady Fingers:
- ¼ cup (30grams) cake flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (30 grams) corn flour, sifted
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated white sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated white sugar
- Powdered (icing or confectioners) sugar for dusting the tops of the cookies
Preparation Lady Fingers:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
In a electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks, the white sugar and the vanilla extract on high speed for about 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and pale yellow.
Sift the cake flour and the corn flour over the batter but do not fold in.
In a clean bowl, with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until until stiff peaks form.
Fold the whites into the egg yolk and flour mixture, mixing gently until incorporated.
Transfer the batter to the pastry bag and pipe the batter into 3 inch (7.5 cm) long ladyfingers, leave about a 1 inch (2.54 cm) space between the cookies.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the ladyfingers are firm but barely browned and are still spongy when pressed with a finger.
Remove the baking sheets from the oven, place the powdered sugar in a wire strainer, and lightly sift the sugar over the tops of the hot cookies.
Let the ladyfingers cool for a few minutes and release them from the parchment paper, with a flat spatula, while they are still warm. If you left them completely cool before removing them from the parchment they stick and hard to remove without breaking. Finish cooling the ladyfingers on the wire rack before using or storing.
Tastyfood - Recipes