Ingredients for Mediterranean Fish Soup:
- 2 lbs. (900g)skinless fish fillet, cubed into 1" (3cm)squared
- 4 cups (1 l) of water with 2 fish bouillon cubes or fish, seafood or shrimp stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- ½ cup finely shredded fresh basil
- Pinch of saffron threads
- olive oil ( 1tbsp)
- pepper and salt
- 1 dried Bay Leaf
How to make Mediterranean Fish Soup:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or untill onions are golden and translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add the tomato, the water with the fish bouillon cubes or the fish stock, saffron, bay leaf and lemon rind. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly.
Add the fish and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until fish is just cooked.
Season with pepper and salt.
Ladle the soup among serving bowls.
Sprinkle with basil and serve immediately.