Ingredients for Moroccan Chicken Briouat:
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and skin removed
- 2 large onions, chopped medium
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 or 2 small pieces (2 to 3") of cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- black pepper and salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 kg (about 1 1lb.) warqa, fillo dough or large spring roll wrappers
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (for folding the briouats)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (for folding the briouats)
Preparation Moroccan Chicken Briouat:
Mix the chicken with the spices and oils in a large pot. Cover the chicken, and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally til the chicken is very tender and falls off the bones. (about 1 hour)
Transfer the baked chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Continue cooking the onions and sauce in the pot til the onions they are golden and translucent.
Add the chopped cilantro and remove the sauce from the heat.
While the chicken is still warm, pick the meat from the bones, breaking it into small pieces. Add the sauce to the chicken, and stir to coat the meat well.
To fold large cylinders from square spring roll wrappers, place the wrapper so that it forms a diamond shape in front of you.
Add three tablespoons of filling towards the bottom of the dough. Fold the bottom of the dough up around the filling, and the fold the right and left sides of the dough into the center so that the edges are straight and parallel. Roll up the dough like a rug, sealing the top edge of the dough to the roll with a little egg yolk.
Deep fry the briouats in hot oil until light to medium golden brown, about five to seven minutes.
Drain and serve.