Ingrediënts for Mussels with Chorizo:
- 1 kg (2¼ lb) fresh mussels, scrubbed
- 225gr (8 ounces) chorizo sausage, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. Spanish smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 20cl ( 3/4 cup) white wine, not dry, not sweet
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- pepper and salt
How to make Mussels with Chorizo:
In a large sauté pan, cook the sausage until brown over medium-high heat, Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Scrape up any large brown bits and discard. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
Add butter and when melted, add chopped onion, paprika, red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the wine, heavy cream. Stir in sausage. Add mussels and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover, cooking until the mussel shells have opened, about 5-7 minutes.
With a ladle, serve mussels with sausage and sauce into bowls and sprinkle a little parsley. Discard any shells that have not opened.
Serve immediately with French bread for dipping or French Fries.