Ingredients for Peanut soup:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced gingerroot
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 can (28 oz - 800ml) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups (750 gr) diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken stock
- 1 can (14 oz/400 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chunky peanut butter
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
How to make Peanut soup:
Heat 1½ tsp (7 mL) of the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Season the turkey wit salt and pepper and sauté, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until no longer pink.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
Drain the fat from the pot, add the remaining oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened.
Add garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes and curry powder, sauté for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes with juice, sweet potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Whisk in coconut milk and peanut butter.
Return turkey to the pot and stir in brown sugar.
Simmer until sweet potatoes are tender and flavors are blended.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.