Ingredients for Potato gratin:
- 4 lbs. - 1800g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch -2 cm slices
- 2 cups - 500 ml full fat milk
- 2 cups - 500 ml double cream
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 oz - 110g grated Gruyère cheese or similar for topping
How to make Potato gratin:
Preheat the oven to 180°C -355ºF.
Put the potatoes into a large saucepan with the milk, cream, onion, minced garlic and salt. Bring to the boil and cook at a robust simmer until verging on tender, but not dissolving into mush.
Use some of the butter to grease a large roasting tin (37 x 30cm / 15 x 12 inches) and then pour the almost sludgy milk and potato mixture into it.
If desired, you can finish with a thin layer of grated cheese.
Dot with remaining butter and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the potato is bubbly and browned on top.