Ingredients for Soto Ayam Soup:
For 4 Persons:
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 6 cups - 1½l water
- 2 cups - ½l coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 lime leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 stalks spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 2-inch -5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 4-inch - 10cm piece of galangal, peeled
- 1 4-inch - 10cm piece of fresh turmeric, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 oz - 110g rice vermicelli
- 1 red chili peppers, sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup - 240g bean sprouts
- Juice of 2 kaffir limes
How to make Soto Ayam Soup:
Put 3 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pan and saute the chicken for 5 minutes.
Add water, coconut milk, half the lemongrass, the lime leaves, spring onions, half the garlic, tomato, celery, and salt.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat than reduce heat.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
Remove the chicken from the broth, cut into strips and set aside.
Prepare a spice paste:
Grind the shallots, ginger, galangal, turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, the remaining lemongrass and garlic with a food processor until obtaining a smooth paste.
Heat the remaining oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Sauté the spice paste and hot pepper slices for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Add broth and reserved kaffir lime juice.
Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Cook the rice vermicelli according to the package directions. Drain.
Blanch bean sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain.
Place all the ingredients in large bowls.
Pour the broth into each bowl.
Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Serve with rice.
Tastyfood - Recipes
Indonesian Soto Ayam Soup Recipe